Another fun quilt along is HERE! This one will be a combination of big quilt blocks and small ones, so it’s going to be a fun one.
This fun quilt along is hosted by Fat Quarter Shop using the book Simply Half Yards, but with a FREE new layout. The setting is beautiful and I can never get enough star blocks, so it was an easy YES for me to join the quilt along.
The quilt-along is called Simply Stars Quilt Along
Simply Stars Quilt finishes at 64.5″ Square,
The quilt along begins 16th November – 21st December 2022!
There’s still time to grab all the things you need for the quilt along.
GRAB THE BOOK HERE>
and the Fabric Requirements and all the extra tools and notions HERE>
I’ll be using Moda Birdsong Collection by Gingiber for this quilt along.
This collection is bursting with rich colors and beautiful illustrations!
Check out the COLLECTION HERE>
The little bird feet tone-on-tone is so cute!
Week 1: 16.5-inch squared big quilt block
This week we kick off with these large star blocks. I love how gigantic these are as compared to the usual blocks I use to make.
These are 16.5″ quilt blocks, and they come together pretty easily from the same unit. I took advantage of chain piecing and batch piecing, cutting and pressing the units which makes it so much easier.
You can watch a sped-up process of me making these blocks over in a reel on Instagram HERE>
Quilting Tools and Notions I used:
- My trusted workhorse, Janome Horizon Memory Craft QCP8200
- I used Superior Thread Snow for piecing this quilt
- My favourite Ergonomic Rotary Cutter – this have saved my wrist a lot!
- Large cutting Mat
- Wool ironing Mat (I have no issues with the smell, but sometimes it can burn if the iron is way too hot and no steam)
- Oliso Pro Iron (I love this Iron, it lifts as you let go, saving the wrist from too much work and it gives a good heat and steam)
- Portable Design Board
- Quilter’s Clapper
- Wooden Seam Roller
You can check out some of the quilts in the Simply Half-Yards Quilt Book in my previous post HERE>
If you are into quilt alongs, there’s also Sewcialites QAL to join at the moment! Don’t forget to check that FREE Quilt Along too.